Water running was a success! As in:
- I didn’t drown
- I actually felt like I was getting a good workout in (45 minutes of it!)
- I wasn’t bored (which surprised me – everyone talks about how boring it is; to me, it felt pretty darn close to really running and so I was happy! Much happier than sitting on the trainer at home or doing pilates)
More random thoughts on water running:
- I found myself holding my breath. Must remember to breathe.
- I’m pretty sure I looked like an idiot – but no one seemed to be watching me too closely. The pool was mostly filled with kids and grandmas.
- It was a great ALL OVER body workout. My arms and whole upper body really felt it.
- When I would stop thinking about technique, I found myself doing this odd cross between running and doggie paddling. I think better technique will come with time.
- It’s weird to get a good workout in but not be sweating.
- Link to article by Pfitz with some interesting studies about how you can do 9 weeks of just water running and still be in as good of shape as when you stopped land running!
I’d still rather be real running. I have an appointment with the doctor on Monday because she said to return when I can walk in the boot all day without pain and I’m on day number 5 of that. Fingers crossed that I didn’t just jinx myself by putting that in writing!