I was going to title this post “5k’s Suck” and blog about how hard they are, how they hurt, how your lungs burn and how I would honestly rather race a marathon than race a 5k, but I realized that I already did a blog post called “Newsflash: 5ks Suck” a couple years ago and I also thought that I should probably be a little bit more positive. 🙂
So I’ll try to just focus on the positive from yesterday’s Celiac 5k race:
- I got a PR. (Only a 14 second PR, not the 2 minute PR that I wanted and think I am capable of)
- I got 3rd place female.
- I got to talk with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, who I have missed greatly (once your divorced are they still in-laws? or ex-in-laws? Whatever. It was good to see them.)
- My 10 year old nephew kicked butt with a 23:40. (Bet he beats me at this race next year) It’s funny how fast little kids take off at the beginning of a 5k. Although I should talk, I took off way too fast for the heat (75 sunny).
- I got 9+ total miles in because I ran before and after with a friend. So fun to have someone to run with. It makes the time go by so fast.
- My friend won the whole race.
So there you have it, the positives about yesterday’s 5k. But 5ks do really suck.