Everywhere you turn lately, Minnesotans are bitching about the heat. YES, it sucks. YES, it is insanely hot and HUMID (78 when I ran at 5:30 this morning; high later will be 97 with heat index making it feel like 115). But it is what it is. It doesn’t need to prevent you from getting your workout in.
Cindi’s hot weather running tips:
- Get up insanely early and get your run done before the sun rises. It makes a HUGE difference. It will make your run bearable.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. All day long. Before your run. During your run (carry water, even if you normally don’t). After your run. In the middle of the night. And not just with water – use NUUN. Drink gatorade. Replace those electrolytes that you are losing like crazy when you sweat.
- Adjust your workouts. Slow the pace down. Run easy. If you are doing speed work, do shorter intervals or less intervals or rest longer between intervals.
- Listen to your body. If you aren’t responding well to the heat, back off.
- Change your attitude. Instead of bitching about the heat, embrace the heat. Think about how EASY your running is going to feel when the heat and humidity break. Running in these conditions sucks now, but it will make you stronger.