30 hours!

30 hours.  That’s how long our power was out from the snow storm yesterday.  And boy did it suck.

Yesterday and today was like a comedy of errors.  Everything that could have gone wrong did.  First I woke up with a killer back ache out of nowhere.  WTF?  Normally I would be pissed that I couldn’t run with something like that, but I was more worried because I could barely sit and I couldn’t bend down.  WTF?  Then, the snow kept coming and coming.  And it was heavy and wet.  And then at 10:30 a.m. our power went out.  I needed to get the driveway cleared, but with my crazy back, shoveling was out.  And our snow blower was up at the cabin.  And did I mention that The Husband went to Chicago for the Vikings game, so I was on my own with the kids and puppy?  So I called a few neighbors, but they were either gone or their snow blowers were broken.  Seriously.  I figured it was just 7 inches, I could just drive the car through that, right?  Well, just then the City plow went by, creating at least a two foot snow bank at the end of my driveway.  That literally put me in tears.  So I decided to take a nap.   I figured everything would be better after my nap, the power would be on, someone would miraculously come by and offer to help me with my driveway, etc.  Nope.  Instead, when I woke up at 3:00 and the power was still off, I went into overdrive, realizing it gets dark at 4:30 so I better get going looking for supplies.  Found a flashlight.  No batteries in it.  Seriously.  Ugggggg.  Pulled together a few candles, then came up with the best idea – my running headlamp!  Yipee!  So from 4:30 til 8:30 I sat on the couch bundled under blankets with my running lamp on my head and read a book that I wasn’t even liking and started getting colder and colder.  Tried to figure out gas fireplace pilot.  Couldn’t figure it out.  Finally at 8:30 we went to sleep to try to stay warm.  Woke up to a chirping sound at 5:00 a.m., thinking that it must be the power returning.  Nope, it was the fire alarm battery dying (but I didn’t figure that out on my own, so I listened to a chirp every couple minutes!).  Coffee would have been nice, but not happening without power.  And I couldn’t get out of the garage because the power was out.  Finally, at 7:00 I woke Carter up and told him we had to get up to Caribou for some coffee and warmth.  I figured out the manual garage release, powered through the snowbank at the end of the drive (which had melted significantly) and got my coffee.  Ended up going to a friend’s house for the Vikings game and some warmth.  I started to panic because the power still wasn’t on and I have court in the morning, so I wasn’t sure how I’d get showered, made up, in a suit and presentable without electricity.  Uggggg.  Finally, at 4:30 – THIRTY HOURS LATER – the power came on.  And boy was that a relief!  You really don’t realize how much you appreciate electricity and warmth until it’s gone.  I am SO not a handyman type person.  Must start figuring out how to do some household things instead of relying on The Husband for everything.  Right.

Oh – and my running this week has sucked.  Lowest mileage week in ages.  No pilates either.  But lots of cookies and beer.  Hopefully next week is a better one!

2 thoughts on “30 hours!

  1. I always have these cozy thoughts about life without power and then the reality of it all sets in, as it did for you, and it’s not so fun anymore. Glad to hear it’s restored now! Hopefully you doubled up on the gingerbread from Caribou 😉

  2. lora

    I can’t believe we never lost power in all that crazy snow we had last winter. I’d have gone crazy myself! Great idea about the running headlamp, though! I’ll remember that one! Glad you’re all ok 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s