Random Thursday Thoughts:
- I probably shouldn’t have started Operation Spin Dry until AFTER my (soon to be) 14 year old daughter’s birthday shin-dig, which consists of me watching six 13 and 14 year old girls at our cabin for 2 days. Yikes! A couple bottles of vino sure would calm the nerves during this event. The fun starts tonight. Wish me luck!
- Don’t you hate it when 9 year olds kick your ass on the track? Coach brought his 9 year old daughter to our workout this morning and I am sad to say that she beat me on 400s and 200s. (My hammy issue flared up, so I ended up stepping off the pace. Otherwise I’m sure I wouldn’t have gotten my butt kicked quite so badly!)
- My friend (a non-runner) is training for Twin Cities 10 mile. We were talking about people (like me) being crabby when we can’t run. She said she’s still at the point in this training thing where she is crabby on the days that she has to run. I love it so much that it’s hard for me to imagine running making people crabby! (And, for the record, she’s the one who convinced me to sign up for the 10 mile in 2006, which was the beginning of me falling in love with this running thing; she’s one of those non-runners who will ocassionally sign up for a race, do a half-assed training cycle and end up kicking butt!)
- Minneapolis 13.1 on Sunday. I haven’t raced a half marathon in ages. I’m excited to give it a try. I’ll think more about racing/pacing strategy and blog about it tonight (to distract me from the teenage drama at the cabin shindig!)
- Meghan’s cross country practice officially started this week. They are doing two-a-days. I’m jealous! I would love to run and workout twice a day. Any ideas on a job where I can just run and not do this law thing?
- Quote from the slide show at the high school athletic department parent/student meeting: The only one that limits yourself is you. (Love it! So true, with me. When I look back at races its me and my negative self talk and doubts that have limited my performance.)
- Confession: I only made it two full days in Operation Spin Dry without having a beer. But, in my defense, it really is impossible to go to Buffalo Wild Wings and not have a beer, isn’t it? At least I got a grilled chicken sandwhich and limited myself to 1 beer. That’s good, right?
- Guess what I started back up this week? Pilates! And strength training! I’ve slacked on these for 3 weeks. It feels so good to be doing them again. I think they are necessary, for me, to keep the Old Body in shape.